Sunday, October 22, 2006

A new beginning

Well your not going to believe this. I certainly don't. I feel like I have had the rug pulled out from under me.

I had pretty much given up on running. I just couldn't take it anymore. I have tried for a year. My feet started to bother me in about Feb. I have battled and battled it. I have bought so many pairs of shoes , I can't even count them. I have tried over 10 pairs of insoles, none of them working.

Last Feb. my chiropractor told me I had flat feet. Yesterday I found out that I not only DON'T have flat feet, but that I have very high arches! I was told by 3 different people in one week to go to a place called "Striders." It is a specialty store just for runners. I had never heard of it before. They have that foot thing that you stand on and a computer that shows the pressure points and arch of your feet etc.. It is very cool.

When they first did it and told me I have high arches I said "um, I don't think so. I have flat feet." The gal laughed and said we could do it again. Same result. NO WAY!!! No wonder I have had so many problems. My high arches are trying to fall but I just need more arch support. I don't know why I didn't figure it out before. If I had flat feet, any support would have been enough. Instead, I could never get enough support for my arch. I have been wearing shoes to run in that completely hold my foot in a position that it totally wrong for me.

Now, I find it a little irritating that my chiro would tell me that. He couldn't have known. I do pronate a little on the right but not like I would if I really had flat feet.

It just goes to show that Heavenly Father lets us get to our lowest point before he lifts us up. I had given it up. I had tried to be a runner for 4 years and had finally said, "can't do it". Then, within the time of one week, 3 people tell me to go to this place. I took it for a sign. I obeyed and now look. I would have gone to my death believing profoundly in something that wasn't true. That has really shaken me.

How often in our lives do we do that. Hold tenaciously to something we believe to be rock solid only to find out we had been clinging to sand. Wow. It has been a real eye opener for me.

I challenge you this week to look at your lives and see if there is anywhere there that you do this. See ya!

3 comments:

Lisa M. said...

Melissa!

That is wonderful news. I am so excited for you. I remember when Sister J, mentioned Striders, over lunch last Saturday.

Good for you!

I am excited.

Our new orthopedist mentioned that might be a good place to get E some shoes that really fit with his foot braces!

You'll have to tell me more about it.

A New Begining! I'll have to think about that one.

Robyn said...

Oh yeah, I am right with you. This is my last formal week at the bakery. You're the first to know!

I will then be focusing all of my time in my own business. It is scary and exhilarating all at the same time! I look forward to "running" with you.

hi, it's me! melissa c said...

Congrats Chronicler! That can be so scary but you can do it!