Monday, January 15, 2007

OK. New post. It is Martin Luther King Day. I know it has a new name but I prefer the one I grew up with.

Thank heavens for people like him. If only we could look at people and not see color. Here in Utah, there are not a lot of black people. Personally, I love their dark skin. I think it is beautiful. In fact, I dated a guy in college who was from Africa. He was brilliant. Spoke 8 different languages and had served a mission and was a wonderful guy. A little intense, but nice. He wanted to marry me and begged my mom to tell him the secret to my heart. She loved him because he spoke Norwegian. I just wasn't in love with him.

Anyway, I remember watching Oprah and realizing for the first time that she was black. I seriously had never noticed. I just didn't see it. I would always like to be the kind of person who doesn't notice that.

I love my dad but I think he is a little prejudiced. I grew up with him making little rude comments about indians, mexicans, and blacks. They were all stereo typed. It used to make us kids so mad. I wonder if he said it just to get a rise because he never seemed to treat people different or rudely when he was with them.

I had a cousin who lived in Florida who was also REALLY prejudiced. It amazes me.

If "white people were smarter, they might even realize that black people are not only equal, but possibly superior. They have these wonderful bodies that athletically speaking, are .....well, I have not words to desribe it. Their skin, because of the the darker color ages slower. They sunburn less and I personally love their beautiful, full lips!

Now, as far as other races go, my husband is really attracted to the Chinese look. I found this out just a little while ago. He really likes Lucy lu, or however you spell her name, and some of the other asian actresses. Although he really likes Hale Berry too.

The point is. We are all beautiful. Beautiful in our differences. Whether we are short, tall, fat, thin, black, white whatever! I love a rainbow of colors! My wish is that in our world we can always look at each other and just see a beautiful spirit. Period.

2 comments:

Laura said...

I LOVE this holiday, and love Dr. King's speeches...with a special place in my heart for his "I Have a Dream" speech.

Lisa M. said...

I was just bluggering around because everything is closed today and I feel this urgent sense of "I have to get this done"

I have been brought down to size, I suppose, thank you for the gentle reminder.

My best friend in the world, from my youth was black. Actually her name was Yolanda, and I thought she was the cats meow.

Her father was a judge, and reminded me of an owl, I was completely intimidated by him. There was a great deal of love in their family. I went to church a couple of times with them.

I am extremely prejudiced. Not against a certain race, creed or color.

But against stupidity. I can't abide stupid people.

I realize that I am not very Christlike, but the older I get, I suppose the more jaded I get.

I can't stand these moronic idiots who ask me such stupid questions, like "Are you hurting your son" when he is crying in the grocery store.

It frustrates me.

My Grandpa hated the Chineese. Someting about fighting them in the war.

And Japaneese from WW2.

It makes no sense to me. It frustrates me to no end.

I realize though, that in my heart of hearts, I am part of the problem. When I feel like I can justify my own prejudices.

Love ya!

Thanks for something new!