Monday, February 02, 2009

Keeping a journal


Most of us know that it's a commandment to keep a journal. For those of you who are unaware, it is.

So, journal writing is something I have always struggled with. It almost feels like a waste of time. I have so many other things I'd rather be doing. Plus, writing with a pen makes my hand ache. Guess I'm getting old. So, a few years ago, I decided to print out my blog posts one month at a time, then keep them in a binder.

I figured this was as good a journal as I was going to get. My mother, bless her heart, would hopefully approve. She was an avid journal keeper. I can go back to the day I was born and read about it. I love that. I want my kids to have the same thing.

I should probably be more like my mom, making them write their entries now, on a daily basis. Personally, I hated this. I have also found, that it did not create good journal keeping habits for me. It had the reverse affect. So, in a moment of brilliance, I thought... print that baby!

I knew I was a bit behind. I was very surprised to find I was two YEARS behind in my printing! I couldn't believe it! So that is what I did this morning. I printed two years of my life so my children and grandchildren will know who I was and what I did and thought about. It felt pretty dang good.

1 comment:

Jennie said...

i, too, love the concept of journal keeping/writing.. but have never been good at it!

i am using my blog (and my new blog) as a form of journal keeping. i have thought about printing it all off before... but i think i am really going to do it now! thanks for inspiring me.. again... to do something great! :)