Monday, December 17, 2007

Today I am feel great gratitude. We had an experience this weekend that can really bring you to your knees. I am feeling immense gratitude for modern medicine.

As some of you may know, We have had that awful flu at our house. I have found out since that doctors think it is a strain of to Roto virus.

Jake had gotten sick on Sunday night last, then Heidi and I were sick Wed. night. Up all night throwing up and diarrhea like water. Cramps that were worse than any of my labors.

Thursday night Wyatt, started throwing up and started with the diarrhea. We couldn't get fluids in him fast enough. He devoured every bottle. Dying of thirst. Over the course of just a few hours, I would learn, that he had lost about a pound of fluids. In the middle of the night we rushed him to Mc Kay Dee hospital.

From tests we learned that his sodium levels were unusually high. If they hydrated him too fast with those sodium levels, he would have seizures and could have brain swelling. He was much more ill than even we had anticipated. If we had lived 100 years ago, he would have died by morning.

I can't believe how fast it went. Fine one day and deathly ill in the next few hours. They hooked him up to an IV and took tests to see if they needed to fly him to Primary Hospital. They decided to keep him there and they admitted him to the pediatric ward. They took labs every two hours at first.

That was the worst experience of our lives. Here we were, holding our beautiful baby down while he screamed as they stuck needles into his little feet to get blood. He would look at us with wonder in his eyes, asking us why we were allowing this. I cannot describe how this made us feel.

The next day Doctor Lloyd, whom we adore, came and changed all the orders. The kind of iv fluid, how often to take blood and what to give him. Wyatt had not been allowed to have anything oral that whole first day. It was terrible. Dr, Lloyd was furious that he hadn't been called by the hospital sooner. I thought they had called him. He made them quit doing labs as often as he felt they were torturing our baby. Which is exactly what it was.

To make a long 3 day weekend short, his numbers leveled, he gained his weight back, the diarrhea ended and it all turned around for the better.

On Sunday morning as I rocked him, 2 older men came in to give me the sacrament. I have taken the sacrament my whole life. I can't count how many times I have heard the sacrament prayers, but at this moment, as these men knelt at my feet, and prayed, the words hit me like a flood of emotion. I started to cry. This is why Christ came. This was why he did what he did. For me and my poor baby who lay in my arms. It is in moments like these, moments of extreme pain and gratitude that the magnitude of what he did hits me.

Thank heavens for these miracles. It doesn't seem fair that 100 years ago a mother would have lost her beautiful child.

So, I am full of gratitude today. I'm so glad it's over.


Tonya said...

Oh Melissa, I'm so sorry that you had such a rough weekend. I am so glad that everything worked out and he is okay. I know the helplessness you felt first hand.

You are so right about the atonement though, it's not just for our sins but every pain we will ever feel. I'm glad you had that sweet experience.

Yolanda said...

What a testament of our Savior...

Thanks for sharing it with us.

maren said...

I'm glad he is better now. Scary.

Island Queen said...

Thank you for your beautiful testimony. It has edified me. I'm glad he's ok. ((hugs))

Jennie said...

thank you so much for sharing this... i am sorry that you had to go through it, but i find that the lessons learned are good too...

love ya!