Friday, July 21, 2006

Good memories

It's Friday again and tonight I am really excited. We are going camping. I LOVE to camp! B is finally taking a day off. Actually, 2. We'll come home Monday some time. Now I wish we had a trailer or camper. I am turning into my mother. I remember when she quit doing the tent thing.

I am to the point where I want a place to potty without squatting, I want water for dishes. I want a soft bed! I want heat if it gets cold. I want to be able to fall into bed if arriving after dark and not having to put up a tent!

I admit I have become a wuss but that is how it is folks! But I will camp in a tent this weekend and love every minute of it! I don't know where we are going. I let B pick that out. I told him it just better have water and trees!

I have some of my best memories of camping. I remember making a fishing pole out of a stick and fishing line I found on the ground and catching more fish than my brother who had just bought a brand new expensive pole! I remember playing in lakes and streams. I remember trying to get lost on trails every year at our family reunion at Granite Flats. I remember my mom putting hot dogs in the pork and beans to make them stretch!

I remember putting my baking feet in the cool river and how it quenched my thirst doing it! I loved hiking Timpinogas and dying in the heat! The camp fires are always a personal favorite. I think I will take my guitar this weekend. I never seem to play it anymore.

I miss my childhood so bad when I think of these special memories. I miss the complete happiness I felt and the total safety I felt in the mountains. I want my children to have these feelings too. I want my kids to love the mountains and campfires and hotdogs and cold feet on hot days. It tears my heart out that there are people out there who have never experienced it.
My wish for all of you out there is that you will have a wonderfully fun campout at least once before the summer is over! Best of luck! Love, me.

3 comments:

Lisa M. said...

I saw you packing up! I wondered what great adventure you were off too. That is wonderful! You missed the best fireworks last night.

I love camping too, and it is not the same for my kids as it was for me, which is sad.

You'll have to tell us all about it when you return from your grand excusrsion.

Jewel said...

I hope you are having a great time. I wish I could go camping, but my spouse is a fuddy-duddy. He doesnt like to do anything.

I myself enjoy camping. Well hope you are having a great time

Mise en Place said...

Oh, camping is the BEST. We are still tenting it but I'm with you...ready for a camper.

It's funny how our childhood becomes so clear when we look at out own children and things we want for them. I's so grateful for my childhood and tell my parents regularly.

I hope to do the same for my two.

ENJOY!