Thursday, March 09, 2006

Have a peaceful day

Most people love the sun.
but I like most of all a cool grey sky
with clouds that trail along
the sides of hills
like skirts of quaker brides.
Such days when fields grown stangely still,
keep their secrets, good or ill
and all unloveliness is vain
behind a blowing veil of rain.

By Janie Violet Troupe

This was a poem my Grandmother wrote. She had a way with words. Today, it snowed all morning. It was cold and so beautiful. It reminded me of this poem. It is sunny now and the snow looks like little diamonds. I love it when it is sunny and snowy together. I sit here in my quiet house with all my kids gone. My two dogs, the big Duke who smells a little like wet dog (I am tempted to tell him to leave) and little Jenny who is trying to bite my shoe. I love this feeling and it comes from reading Yolanda's blog today. About stillness and quietness. It made me notice the quiet weather. My quiet house. My sleeping dogs at my feet. Thank you Yolanda for bringing me a moment of peace and quiet when most likely I would have normally filled it up with something else.
"Peace I leave with you. My peace I give unto you. Not as the world givith, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. " John 14:27

1 comment:

Suzie Petunia said...

I savor moments like those! They last even longer when you write about them as you have.

But, about grey skies... I used to love an overcast day once in a while until I moved to Portland. In the winter it can become burdensome with no direct sunrays. When they DO come out I like to close my eyes and point my face directly into the warm glow.

Would you believe it has been snowing here for the last 2 days? It NEVER snows in Portland!