Friday, June 26, 2009

Michael Jackson


I was in the car driving home from my sister's house yesterday when I heard the news on the radio. I couldn't believe it. Michael Jackson was dead. I was dumbstruck.

Naturally, all the crazy, weird things he's done in the last decade came to mind but I would like to bypass that for a moment and jump back to 1982. I was twelve years old. I'd gotten to school early as usual because if I wanted a ride I had to leave when my dad did. So, there I was, sitting on the top steps in the hall of Millcreek Jr. High in front of the girls locker room, eating Nibs and listening to "Thriller" on the radio. It was the first time I'd ever heard it all the way through. My parents didn't listen to those stations at home, so I'd never heard it before.

I loved it! I began to crave everything Michael Jackson, included the poster of him in the luscious yellow suit which I cannot now find! He brought so much to music, was such a great entertainer, was so cute before his surgeries. I am saddened at his mental decline. It's too bad we all can't be more content with who we are and how we look. Who knows, if I had the money, I might get a nose job too.

Anyway, I'm sad he's gone. At least he gets to be in a pretty awesome place with people who love him. Good bye, Michael and God speed.

No comments: