Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Swimming again


I swam laps this morning for the first time in a year. I have always loved to swim. The peaceful quiet is therapeutic as well as athletic.

The problem now is that I am totally out of shape and have to breathe faster than I can swim! The thing is, if you breath while under water, you die. So I mostly did the backstroke. I could do free style about halfway across and then I would need to flip over.

I felt dead after only swimming for a half hour. My endurance needs some work but I do have to say, Lisa would be proud. I did not use nose plugs.

I have had issues with water in my nose my whole life. As a child, I had to have private swim lessons as I was so afraid of the water. I had almost drowned when I was four and had never been able to learn much in the class setting. During one lesson, my teacher praised me and mentioned the fact "that I didn't even plug my nose". From that day on, I noticed it and needed to plug it. Stupid huh? I've always thought so.

So, this morning, I got up and got there at 5 am. Yes, you read right. 5 AM!!!!! I swam for a half our and crawled back home to get the kids off to school. It feels so good to get so much done early but I'm tired now.

My question is this. Which pool should I go to? I have the option of two. I can go to the Natatorium in Brigham which is 8.5 miles away and always crowded. Or I can go to the Nat in Tremonton which is 11 miles away and usually never crowded. Is 5 miles saved round trip worth it? I feel self conscience as it is because I'm a beginner but I hate to spend more in gas. Bry said he'd go where it was less crowded. What a pain. I just need a pool in my back yard!

3 comments:

Jeri said...

I'd be swimming with bryan in the less crowded pool - no questions asked!

hi, it's me! melissa c said...

I think that's what I'll do too. I expect you at my house by 5 tomorrow! lol

Lisa M. said...

We could car pool!

I'll come with you, if you go to Tremo!