Friday, April 04, 2008

Ebony and Ivory

Do you believe it is possible to live in a world where color is not noticed? I know it is. Let me tell you a little secret about me. I have always wanted that beautiful dark skin. Ever since I was a child I thought dark skin was more beautiful than light.

I wanted a handsome Indian man to whisk me off into the sunset. I still drool over black men's bodies. Is that OK to say here? I love the way they are built. It is different than a white mans body. I especially love a mix. A mix of anything brings the best of both worlds.

I still remember about 10 or so years ago, I was watching Oprah and she made a comment about being black. I said to myself, "Oh my gosh!!!!Oprah is black????" I had never noticed. It wasn't something I cared about. Everyone thought I was an idiot when I mentioned it!

I have tried to pass this on to my kids. Jacob's 2 best friends at school are black. They are brother and sister. He likes to play with the girl when he wants to be active outside because she likes to play actively. He hangs with the boy when they want to play game boy or something. In fact, they just gave Jake like 15 games for our Wii because theirs is broke and they got some new thing that doesn't take the same kind of games. Anyway, they are great kids and I love them. The girl is absolutely beautiful and I would not mind a bit if Jake decided to marry that girl. Think of my adorable grand kids!!

One of Heidi's best friends is a cute little black girl too. I can still remember her first day of school. I asked her if she had made any new friends in kindergarten and she named this little girl and said, "she has brown skin. I like it. I wish I had brown skin".

It warms my heart. My kids don't see others as different or unusual or scary. I love how they embrace others no matter the package they come in. I am so proud to have raised kids that DO NOT SEE COLOR as a barrier.

I have one other memory I want to share. When I was on my mission. I fell in love with the beautiful Latin babies with their long dark hair, caramel skin and dark eyes. I actually prayed for Heavenly Father to PLEASE send me Latin looking babies. I though Caucasian babies were so ugly with their white, pasty skin and bald heads! I don't admit that very often because I had one of those adorable bald, white babies! lol. But if I have to pick, I love a little color.

Anyway, this is what I think.

3 comments:

Jennie said...

AMEN!

i have always been in love with black men, polynesian men... you name it!

i am about as white as they come and i always thought that i needed a man with a little bit of color so my kids would have at least a little color pigment!

ok... so i love my husband, but he is almost as white as me! lol!

anyway... so glad to know that i am not the only one who feels that way! lol!

Island Queen said...

LOL... my mom always said that she married my Dad because she wanted beautiful brown skinned babies who tanned instead of burned. My reddish brown hair, green eyed Mom who is as pale as can be - yep, people always assumed we were adopted! LOL...

Hey I made my blog private - Lisa has my email addy so email me and I can send you the invite :-)

Lisa M. said...

Here is a secret,

I so already knew this about you!

HA.

That is great!