Monday, June 30, 2008

Invictus

This is for all of you who feel beaten down, hurt or misjudged by others or are just plain tired. This was a poem that was a mantra for my Grandmother and now it is mine too. When I feel hurt or misunderstood, which happens a lot, or things that I have confided in people have come back to bite me in the butt (which also happens a lot), I think of this poem. It gives me strength. It helps me to remember that it doesn't matter what other people think. I know the truth. I know the kind of person I am.


Invictus
by William Ernest Henley; 1849-1903

Out of the night that covers me,

Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be

For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance

I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance

My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears

Looms but the horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years

Finds, and shall find me, unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,

How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate;

I am the captain of my soul.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Melissa,

It's me Åshild :-) I just realized I could comment this without having a blog on my own.. I just want to let you know that I love checking your blog from time to time. Thank you for beeing so honest and open! I love reading about your life and thoughts now and then.
This is just to let you know that I'm thinking about you occationally, and it's always nice to read your blog. Keep it up! Have a wonderful summer holiday!!! Love from your Norwegian friend far away.. Åshild

hi, it's me! melissa c said...

HELLO MY DEAR FRIEND!!!!! I am so happy to hear from you! I have lost your email so if you see this, will you PLEASE email me your address??

Thank you darling! I love you!

Josi said...

I love that poem, but I don't think I"ve ever read the whole thing. I need to print it out and read it a little more often. I like how you said you go to it when other people hurt you--it's also a good motivator to remind us that our future, for the most part, is up to us.

Oh, and in regard to the writing program question you asked on my blog--I've never used one. I've read books on writing plans, how to organize your story, plan scenes, and things like that, but I don't use them much either. I tend to write and cut and write and cut and write and cut. Feel free to e-mail me kilpack@gmail.com or give me a call--my number's in the book. Glad the bug has bit you again!

Laura said...

Boy...Do I need to memorize this poem!! Thanks so much for sharing!!