Thursday, April 16, 2009

Cookie



I thought I'd post an update on Cookie. She is doing fine and of course, will recover. She'll never be the same, but she'll adjust. We go back to the vet in a week to ten days to have the outer stitches removed. She has to wear this helmet thing so she doesn't scratch. She hates it.

I sure love this little dog. She is so sweet and never hurts anyone. Bry doesn't really know what happened. It may have not had anything to do with the cat food after all. We'll never know because Bry went into the garage, and that's when he heart the attack.

It breaks my heart to get rid of Jenny, but every time I look at cookie, I just can't let it go. More than likely, Jenny won't hurt anyone, but do I take that chance?

I've been in contact with the Golden Retriever Rescue people and they will find her a good home. It makes me feel super guilty. We've had Jenny for four years. This is the home she knows. She loves it here. Bry doesn't want to get rid of her and doesn't think she would ever hurt a person. But like I said, every time I look at Cookie, I am so angry that I don't want to just let it go like it never happened. I don't know. What do you all think?

4 comments:

Jeri said...

I think it's a tough choice and I'm glad I don't have to make it. Good luck.

Amy said...

It's a hard decision. I don't know what I would do if faced with the same one. On one hand it wasn't your child-that would be an automatic out but you never know. I wish you luck with your decision and prayers and hugs. Maybe a blessing? And prayers?

Flush said...

Dog agression is not at all the same as human agression. Unfortunately we have two large dogs who hate each other with a passion and they have had tiffs. Had they had a food bowl fight, there would have been damage too. Your shi-tzu is small and therefore easier to be hurt by a bigger dog....but I agree with your husband. I don't think it will turn into people agression. Never has here and we have little kids.

Why Not? Because I Said So! said...

Oh Melissa, my heart breaks for you and your family to have this happen. If someone doesn't have pets, they don't know how much it hurts when a furry baby get's hurt.

In Feb, we had to put down our beloved dog, Chance, after having him in our family since 1994. This broke our hearts so much. He was 15 years old and had been having health problems.

I hope that your dog get's better. Sorry that this happened.