Sunday, January 31, 2010

Destiny?

It's Sunday morning. My gospel doctrine lesson is ready, my kids are dressed for church and everyone is happily getting along. I love church at eleven. It gives me time.

My goal is to write on this blog more often. This blog is for my random, everyday normal life. My other is mainly geared toward writing. I have debated just using one but on the other hand, I like having them separate.

So today, I want to chat a little about destiny. Are we destined to do certain things? I believe that sometimes we are. I think there are great leaders who were destined to lead and great scientists destined to discover great things. I can see God's hand in everything. But then, as humans, we gloriously screw it up.

Take the internet, for example. So much good is accomplished there, yet there are so many smutty people out there polluting it for their gain. Television is another. So many good things learned there, yet so many bad too. We have to be wise. We have to have smarts.

So, back to destiny. Am I destined to be a writer? Will I become rich and famous? I don't know about the rich and famous part, but I believe deep down in my gut that I was meant to write. It's the first job I've ever had that I absolutely love. I've had to dig deep and learn fast and it hasn't all been great, but so worth the ride.

I remember my first edited manuscript. I cried for a week. I almost gave up, thinking that I'd never get it, that I'd never get my own ideas and quit copying others, that I'd never learn all the stupid rules. But practice makes perfect. I got better with every word I wrote.

It's funny how we often look at someone else and think, "They do it so well. I'll never be that good." Why do they do it so well? Because they have spent HOURS upon HOURS practicing! What makes a virtuoso pianist? Hours of practice. What makes a great artist? Hours of practice. What makes a great writer? HOURS OF PRACTICE.

Now, some are born with a gift. Yeah for them. For the rest of us, and even for them, it takes time, dedication, hope, and practice. Yep folks. I believe in destiny, but I also believe that if you want something bad enough, you can have it. You don't have to be born with some fabulous talent or be a child prodigy. It just takes practice. If you want something, get your butt out there and practice!

Keep your hopes and dreams alive. You are the only one who can!

3 comments:

Christine said...

Wow, I feel like this was written just for me. Thanks for your comment on my blog today and for writing this. I agree 100%. It's taken me years of practice to get where I am. And even thought it's all been hard work and, like you, I've been through the red-in-oozing pity fest over my critiqued manuscript, it will all be worth it some day. The hardest part for me is the waiting. I feel like I've done all I can to get my book in the condition it's in, submitted like crazy and now I need to wait. In the meantime, I have a new project I will be starting tomorrow. I'm so excited about it. Thanks for your friendship. Can't wait to meet you.

Laura said...

One of my fav sayings? "Faith without works is dead..." I truly believe in this...

Jennie said...

very cool... thanks for sharing!!